Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Japan Trip 2016, Day 1 :Tokyo

My husband and I have made it back! After two wonderful weeks in Japan for our honeymoon, we swore that we would return again (preferably next election season), and here we are! So, first and foremost, let's talk about how I never knew how terribly shitty USA airline food was (American, Delta, United) until today's flight on All Nippon Airways. The food was great! Not, like, award-worthy, but it was like realizing that what I had been fed on previous flights was not considered edible to the rest of the world.

Yet even with good food, the 13 hour flight was brutal. I was able to doze a little, but nothing deep. So this means I hadn't had a good night's sleep since Monday morning. Jeff and I have been awake almost 42 hours! We've had a nap here, dozed off there, but nothing good until now. This is why I am currently writing this blog without any input from him this time, since he's been out like a light since his head hit the pillow! I'm okay, but he is once again suffering from some really bad jet lag.  I hope it's not as bad as last time.

We touched down at about 1:30 p.m. (around 3 am back at home) and wandered about Narita airport looking for a good deal on Pocket Wifi. Jeff had been given false promises and information by our provider T-Mobile, who SWORE we would get 3G coverage here. Nope. It connects with just barely 2G, and most apps and websites need 3G to load or run. And while we're here running the Hyperdia (train schedule) app or Google Maps is essential! So we rented a pocket wifi from SoftBank, got our JR Passes, and took the hour train ride into Tokyo.

I did my best to keep Jeff awake as long as possible, walking us around Asakusa, eating a quick bowl of ramen (nothing tastes better than the ramen here), walking through a couple arcades, eating a Taiyaki filled with the season's sweet potato, and then wandering through the 4 floors of the local discount store Don Quijote (or Donki). Soon we had gotten to the point where exhaustion was making the floors roll under our feet and our sleepy stumbling was bordering on hazardous. We are now finishing the day at the Asakusa Hostel Toukaisou in our bunk beds, snuggled into our futons, and finally feeling fresh after a shower. So it is here that I shall say good night!
Best airline food I've ever had. And they gave us little Haagen Dazs for dessert!

Here's us struggling to stay awake with a smile at the Asakusa Donki

Jeff with a taiyaki filled with a sweet potato. Think of a soft waffle with a buttery, almost pancake-tasting, potato filling. 



2 comments:

  1. It looks like you had soba noodles as part of your airline meal. I didn't see the broth, but if it was soba, I hope you slurped them up loudly in Japanese fashion. Have a great trip!

    Gene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gene! Yup, they were delicious cold soba in that noodle sauce. I made sure to enjoy the meal with loud slurps, that were drowned out by the airplane engine drone anyway. Thanks Gene!

      Delete